A Gift Your Guests Will Love
The holidays bring out the neat freak in all of us. Before guests arrive, you’ll vacuum, decorate your home and make sure everything looks “Just Right.”
But there’s one thing you might be overlooking. It’s something your guests can’t see…but can certainly feel. We’re talking about indoor air quality!
Not sure why IAQ is a big deal? This probably means you don’t suffer from allergies. But like most things in life, indoor air quality affects everyone differently. You might breathe polluted air and remain symptom-free—but this doesn’t mean your guests will be as lucky. And even if you don’t experience symptoms, poor IAQ is never good for your long-term health or your HVAC equipment since it can lead to more heating repair in Pine Island, MN.
Luckily, there are things you can do to improve your home’s IAQ before the holidays. Not sure what? Read on to find out.
Check the List—and Check It Twice
A little work can go a long way in protecting your indoor air quality. Before guests arrive, be sure to:
- Give your home a good dusting. You might not think your home is dusty. But the holidays bring a lot of indoor activity that can circulate dust you didn’t even know about! Dust your home thoroughly to prevent any settled dust from becoming airborne. And once the holidays are over, store your decorations in plastic bins instead of cardboard boxes to prevent the dust from building up.
- Schedule maintenance for your furnace. Your heater does more than affect temperature—it affects indoor air quality, too. When your system isn’t properly maintained, dust and debris will build up and prevent your heater from working properly. Annual heating maintenance is the best way to ensure your system can distribute clean, safe air throughout your home. At Tonna Mechanical, we make it easy to protect your furnace with our “Just Right” Comfort Club. Members receive automatic scheduling reminders by postcard as well as priority service, service discounts and more.
- Replace the air filter in your furnace. This is a very easy but important step. Over time, debris will collect in your system’s air filter. If you don’t change or clean the filter regularly, your heater will be forced to work harder and use more energy. This results in higher energy bills and less heating comfort. During the winter, change the filter on a monthly basis to keep your heater running efficiently and safely.
- Choose natural cleaners. When you clean your home, the last thing you want to do is introduce more harmful chemicals. Choose natural, fragrance-free cleaners to protect your home from additional toxins.
- Embrace the fresh air. Minnesota winters make everyone want to huddle indoors. While sealing up your home is a great way to save energy, it compromises your IAQ. Open the windows slightly to circulate the air and remove pollutants from your home.
- Put your guests before your pets. Many people adore their pets (guilty as charged!) But when you’re hosting, it’s important for your guests to feel comfortable. Keep your pets isolated for the day—especially if anyone is allergic.
- Say no to smoking. Even if someone smokes outside, they’ll still bring toxic particles back into your home. For the sake of everyone’s health, make your holidays smoke-free.
- Consider additional help for the future. Sometimes it takes more than small changes to fully relieve indoor allergies. At Tonna Mechanical, our IAQ experts will evaluate your air quality and measure contaminant levels. From there, they’ll recommend the right solution for your home. Many of the devices we install—such as air cleaners and UV lamps—will integrate seamlessly with your HVAC system and make it easy to breathe healthier air. Contact us to learn more about the products we carry and what we can do to improve your IAQ for the long term.
Start the New Year Healthy With Tonna Mechanical
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the average human takes between 17,280 and 23,040 breaths per day. That’s a lot of breathing—especially if you’re breathing polluted indoor air. Let Tonna work with you to make your indoor air clean, safe and just another reason why people love coming to your home.