The Flush You Need for Every Full House
The holidays are a gift in more ways than one. Besides the packages and other goodies, you get to spend time with friends and family, many of whom you might not have seen in a while.
Of course, you want everything to go just right. To ensure this, you might want to take a closer look at your plumbing. Many homeowners are concerned about needing heating repair this time of year in Spring Valley, MN, and throughout Southern Minnesota. But the truth is, your plumbing should be as much of a priority as your heater.
Visiting family and home-cooked meals are some of the many factors that put an extra strain on your plumbing during the holidays. And nothing can put a damper on the special day more than a plumbing problem. They can be awfully unpleasant (to say the least), but we’ll spare you the details.
Luckily, there are plenty of things you can do to make sure your plumbing is in tip-top shape. So make some room on your to-do list: Time to check your plumbing (and check it twice!)
The Gift of Quality Plumbing
After more than 40 years in business, we’ve had many homeowners call us in a panic over their plumbing right before the holidays. To avoid a similar fate, here’s what you can do:
- Place wastebaskets near the toilet. When your bathroom doesn’t have a trash can—or it does, but it’s not in plain sight—people are more likely to flush their trash down the toilet. Make it easy for your guests to dispose of garbage properly by keeping a wastebasket handy.
- Pay extra attention to your garbage disposal. You might know the dos and don’ts with your garbage disposal. But this doesn’t mean your Aunt Helen does! Before family comes to visit, have your garbage disposal checked to ensure it can handle the heavier usage. And if you see a family member using the disposal incorrectly, kindly educate them on best practices. Remind them that certain things should never go down the disposal, such as coffee grounds, poultry, fish bones, egg shells, pasta, rice, breads, potatoes, apple peels and more.
- Show caution with sink drains. Cooking oils and grease solidify when they cool. So, before you pour these liquid by-products down the drain, it’s important to remember that they’re not going to stay that way. Use strainers whenever you pour anything in the sink and dispose of grease and cooking oils properly.
- Check your water heater’s temperature. As family visits over the holidays, your home is going to use more hot water. Adjust the heat output on your water heater to ensure everyone will have ample hot water. Do not set the thermostat above 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Check the water pressure in your shower. Hot water will provide little comfort if the water pressure is weak. Here’s an old trick to fix it: Tie a plastic bag filled with vinegar over the showerhead. Leave it there overnight and then remove deposits with a toothbrush the next morning. If minerals are clogging the showerhead, this will clear them and get the water flowing freely again.
- Make sure the toilets are working properly. The last thing you want is a house full of guests—and a toilet that doesn’t work. Before guests arrive, flush each toilet to check the water pressure. You should also check the flappers and valves to ensure they’re working properly. If you don’t know how to do this, our plumbers at Tonna can assist you. Above all else, be sure to have a plunger handy near every toilet.
- Insulate your home’s pipes. Frozen pipes might not seem like a problem at first. But once those frozen pipes burst, you’ll have a messy and expensive problem on your hands. Now is the perfect time to identify problematic pipes and properly insulate them. Pipes in unheated areas—such as your crawlspace or your basement—are the most prone to freezing. Not sure how to insulate your pipes? No problem. Our experts at Tonna can do this for you.
Make the Season Merry With Tonna Mechanical
A little preparation can make all the difference this time of year. If you suspect your plumbing is outdated or needs professional attention, the experts at Tonna are here to help. We handle all plumbing problems—even the kitchen sink! And should you need heating repair in Saint Charles, MN, or elsewhere in our service area, we’ll be there in no time to make your home “Just Right”…just in time for the holidays!
To schedule an appointment online or to speak with a representative, call Tonna Mechanical at 507.216.4610 or contact us online today.