Pipe Up and Repair Your Plumbing Now (So You Can Thank Yourself Later)
The kids are back in school, and the summer weather is starting to wind down. Just as you’re about to catch your breath, it’s already time to start thinking about the upcoming holidays. Needless to say, it’s a busy time of year.
With everything that’s on your plate, you simply can’t afford to slow down—especially not by a problem that can be prevented. Take, for instance, a broken garbage disposal. Why encounter the need for a repair at the most inopportune time, when you can avoid the situation with plumbing services in Rochester, MN? It might not be something that you want to deal with now—but you’ll thank yourself later when the holidays go nice and smoothly.
When Your Garbage Disposal Is Telling You Something
Garbage disposals aren’t all that complex. When something is wrong with your disposal, you’ll know it. The real issue arises when homeowners ignore the red flags that are right in front of them and delay plumbing services. And, as you’ve probably heard before, ignoring the problem won’t make it go away. If you keep giving your disposal the cold shoulder, the problem can spread, and damage your plumbing system.
There are several warning signs to watch for with your garbage disposal, including:
- The disposal won’t turn on.
- You need to press the reset button whenever you use your disposal.
- It’s taking longer for your disposal to break down food.
- You notice a foul odor near your garbage disposal.
- Your disposal constantly jams or clogs when you use it.
- You notice water leaking from your disposal.
Take Care of Business with Tonna Mechanical
Have you ever combined oil and water in a cup? No matter how hard you try to mix them together, the two will always separate from each other.
Well, here are two other things that don’t mix: your house full of holiday guests, and the horrible odor from your broken garbage disposal. It certainly would be a holiday that visitors would remember—for all the wrong reasons.
Tonna Mechanical’s plumbers in Rochester, MN, are well versed in all types of garbage disposals. With their trained eyes, they can quickly diagnose the problem with your disposal and make the necessary repair. Or, if the problem is irreversible, your plumber will properly install a new system for you. This way, you can ring in the holidays with peace of mind, knowing that your disposal won’t hit the brakes at the worst possible moment.
Some Tips for Good Measure
Once you’ve done everything right—your garbage disposal has been repaired or replaced—you want to avoid future issues. What can you do to keep your disposal at the top of its game?
Here are some guidelines to keep in mind for the future:
- Keep your disposal clean at all costs. Every now and then, pour a little dish soap inside and let the disposal run for a minute.
- Run your garbage disposal regularly to avoid rust and corrosion.
- Run cold water as your disposal grinds the food.
- Avoid placing fibrous materials into the disposal, including: corn husks, onion skins, celery stalks, potato peels, etc.
- Do not put bleach or drain cleaners down your garbage disposal.
- Avoid inserting too much food at once, and instead add a little bit at a time.
Take Action with Tonna Mechanical
If you notice anything out of place with your garbage disposal, don’t wait for the situation to get worse. When you call our plumbing company in Rochester, MN, we can quickly isolate the problem and make the right repair. It requires a little bit of work now, but it will make all the difference weeks later when the holiday rush begins.
To stay on track this season (without having to slow down), fill out our online form or call Tonna Mechanical today at 507.216.4610.