The 5 Biggest Plumbing Myths—Debunked!
Put More Green in Your Wallet This St. Patrick’s Day
Like many homeowners, you may feel like you’re always waiting for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow—especially when you’re constantly putting more money into your home. Everywhere you turn, your hard-earned cash goes toward mortgage payments, repairs, upgrades and other home projects. Unfortunately, Tonna can’t promise you a pot filled with millions in gold, but we can help put some green back in your wallet with our tips!
Over the years, our licensed plumbers in Kasson, MN, have encountered a plethora of plumbing problems—and some pretty big myths, too. And you’re in luck, because we’re going to share some of them with you! We hope our experiences will provide you with the plumbing knowledge you need to help save you money this year (and maybe even make your own pot o’ gold).
Top 5 Plumbing Myths Exposed
- A leaky faucet is no big deal. No big deal? Wrong. It’s a pretty big Here’s why: A dripping faucet costs money. All of those extra drips add up and will increase your water bill. Plus, wasted H20 is a drain on the environment. Call one of our licensed plumbers to get it fixed!
- It’s safe to put lemon peels in the garbage disposal. While it’s true that lemon peels definitely help freshen things up, they also can clog your sink’s drain. Over time, these peels will build up and cause issues. Unless you have a pretty powerful, sharp-bladed disposal, we recommend avoiding this approach.
- Flushable wipes are OK. Really? Tonna has responded to countless service calls to unclog toilets that have been filled with “flushable wipes.” These are not safe for your pipes. And the solution is simple: Don’t flush them down the toilet!
- A noisy water heater will explode. Try to relax. As long as a grumbly water heater isn’t interfering with any electrical connections, it shouldn’t be a problem. The noise is most likely due to age and use. For extra peace of mind, you can always call Tonna for a service appointment.
- Boiling water will dissolve grease in your disposal. Grease is still grease—even if it’s mixed with boiling water. The more grease you toss down the drain, the more problems you’ll have in the future. Grease builds up inside your pipes and backs things up. Save your pipes by pouring extra grease into a paper cup once it cools. Then, throw it in the trash, not the disposal.
More Lucky Charms to Help Save Money
If you’re hungry for more savings, here are three bonus tips to help you see some extra green in your pocket this month.
- Switch to a high-efficiency hybrid water heater. A hybrid, or crossover, water heater combines the efficiency of a tankless water heater with the recovery capability and flow capacity of a conventional storage tank water heater.
- Don’t use your toilet as a trashcan! Avoid tossing anything other than bathroom tissue in your toilet before flushing. This means no wipes, contact lenses, hairbrush remnants or anything else!
- Schedule annual plumbing service from Tonna. Prevent issues before they start by scheduling an annual plumbing appointment today! Our NATE-certified technicians are also available 24/7 for heating repair in St. Charles, MN, as well as gas and boiler maintenance in the Rochester area. Call us today!
- March 3, 2019
- By Patrick Murphy